Thursday, 27 September 2007

Christopher's return

Most of you probably already know, but Chris made it back to the UK last Sunday. It was a nice homecoming for all the guys in his squadron. One of the guys in the squadron came to Alconbury to pick me up and take me to Lakenheath for Chris's return. They have been very good about looking out for me while Chris was gone, and making sure my PCS went well. The other wives in the squadron had prepared snacks and stuff for everyone, and they decorated the squadron bar too.

When the jets were about 10 minutes away, we all boarded the bus that took us down to the flight line where we could watch the jets fly over before landing. Unfortunately, buildings blocked the view of the landing, but within a few minutes, they had taxied to their areas right in front of us. Once the engines were turned off, and the canopies were opened, we were able to make our way to the jets to greet our men. Even though Chris's jet was the second one to get to the parking area, he was the last one out of the jet. I waited patiently (hey, what's a few more minutes, when I hadn't seen him for 6 months). I think he did it just to torture me.

In the excitement of the day, I forgot to take my camera. Luckily, some of the other wives were kind enough to take some pictures of us, and I will post those as soon as they are emailed to me.

Since then, we have been busy playing house. It's a very different world with me living here and working than it was when I was just visiting. We've been busy in the evenings grocery shopping, house hunting, and cooking. And we really haven't had time for much else. Since I have to be at work really early, I have to get up early... which means going to bed early (around 9pm). Of course, even though I go to bed early, I still hate waking up in the mornings... poor Chris, he has to deal with me bitching and moaning, and not getting up (I like to hit snooze for about 20 minutes before actually getting up... I don't think he likes that).

So yeah, we're learning to live together, and really just getting reaquainted all together. We looked at a few houses yesterday. One house we both loved, but I am terrified of parking on the tiny, narrow street. So we're going to look at one more house tomorrow, and if it's not absolutely amazing, we'll go with the scary-parking house, and I'll just have to get over my fear. We're hoping to take possession before I leave to come back to the States for the wedding. That way, when my household goods come in, everything can go right into the new place.

Work is going well. Today we had an all day indoc. into the Tri-Base area (which includes RAFs Molesworth, Alconbury, and Upwood). We learned what services are located at each base, and all sorts of things pertaining to post-PCS processes. It was very good, and helped answer a lot of questions I had. I think the program would have been more helpful if it had been given within a few days of my arrival, instead of 2 weeks. But good, nonetheless.

I think that's all for now. I don't know when I'll have time to blog again... we're very busy, but I'll do my best to post at least a little something once a week.

Love and miss you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you both! Thanks for the phone calls and blogging - it helps us poor sappy souls who miss you and love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm a snoozer too, and that was a fairly big source of friction early on! Eventually, I told Tim I'd limit it to 3 snoozes, and that seemed to make it okay... and now he just sleeps through my alarm (his alarm is whisper quiet but he gets up immediately) and doesn't seem to mind.

I'm glad he's back safe!

-Jennifer