I could use the excuse that I was just too busy to update my blog, but that’s not entirely true… I had plenty of time to veg out on the couch watching movies, or dorking off on Facebook, so really, I had time to update here… I just didn’t.
Anyway, a lot can happen in 3 months. Here’s a brief recap:
In November, I got to know our next-door neighbors a little better… I locked myself out of our house, and they were nice enough to let me hang out in their home until the property management company could bring a spare key. The neighbors were super nice, and gave me the rundown (i.e. gossip) on the neighborhood.
Also in November, Chris and I went to Belgium. We spent the Thanksgiving holiday in Brugge. It was a very quaint city, and had lots of beautiful architecture. The weather was very nice for being outdoors (well, it was cold, but at least the sun was out), so we walked around the city quite a bit. We also got to visit an amazing ice/snow sculpture exhibit! And, of course, you can’t talk about Belgium without mentioning the chocolates… they were amazing! *drooling*
December brought happiness and some sadness. A few days before Christmas, Chris found out that he was accepted to Test Pilot School. It’s a great program, and super career boosting for him… but it’s in California, and he has to report in June of ’08. So there was the happiness of him getting accepted, and the sadness of me just getting here, and having to leave already. But, to throw a wrench into the works (like always happens with us), I had applied for a great promotion with my job, and shortly after Christmas, I found out that I was being chosen for the promotion… but with the stipulation on the promotion was that they were looking for someone who would be around for at least a couple of years. So, happiness – I got a kick ass promotion; sadness – I’ll be here while Chris goes to California.
Despite our conflicting careers, we still managed to have a great Christmas. It was our first together (even though we dated for many years, this was the first time we were actually together on Christmas). I decorated a little bit… it was nice to have an actual fireplace upon which to hang the stockings… and I even made the traditional Christmas dinner (but in two nights, because it was too much food for just one night). I still missed getting to spend the holiday with my family, but it was nice to be with Chris, and start our own traditions.
New Year’s Eve was quite fun, as well. We attended a party at one of the local pubs. It was a costume party (here they call it “fancy dress”). The theme was Red Carpet (movie stars and characters), so Chris and I went as The Tin Man and Dorothy. We had a great time, though I must admit that not having the big countdown was sort of anticlimactic. Everyone was just standing around, and then we heard Big Ben ringing over the radio, and that was it. It was the new year. We all held hands, sang Auld Lang Sine, took a sip from a communal cup of whiskey, and there were kisses all around. Definitely different that what I’m used to.
And for our latest adventure, Chris and I have just returned from Switzerland. We spent a few days in the cute little town of Adelboden. It was exactly what you would imagine a small alpine village to look like. And the mountains were amazing. Chris did some snowboarding, but I mostly just loafed around our cabin, and explored the town. I definitely need to brush up on my foreign languages, because you never know when you’re going to be somewhere where hardly anyone can speak/understand English. It was an adventure trying to communicate with the cabin’s keyholder, to let her know that we would be checking out early. It’s a good thing we bought a handy German phrasebook in the airport. We probably butchered the language, but at least we tried.
Well, this definitely wasn’t a “short” recap like I was hoping for… but there was just so much to tell. I guess that will teach me not to wait too long between posts. I was going to include pictures, but there just wasn’t room. I will add lots of pics to my Kodak Gallery, and I’ll post the link for everyone to view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
April & Chris! Just read your postings. Congrats to both of you! Sounds like you've really been busy! Also, sounds like the travel has been fun & full of adventures! Hope you had a wonderful wk/end in Paris! Avec amour, Aunt Judy! Je t'aime!
Post a Comment